Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Mitchgc27

Originally Posted by ciowa View Post
Congratulations on getting on a path to recovery. There may be some slips but they don't have to turn in to long relapses. Dust yourself off and keep moving forward.

A couple of things come to mind when reading your post. The first is that many people drink as a way of dealing with some other issues like anxiety, depression etc. Drinking makes these things worse but when you get sober, those issues are often still there and will need to be addressed as a part of recovery.

The other thing is that recovery varies among all of us. As a binge drinker, I often went experienced a lot of good things in life without alcohol so when I got into recovery, I didn't experience the pink cloud (or elation at being sober) and instead felt like I normally did when not drinking for a few weeks or months.

I don't know if you've read much about Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome but it can last for several months and one of the symptoms can be anhedonia- the inability to feel happiness or pleasure. This is because your body has to find balance again. Here is a short video you can check out
Keep it going and things will get better over time. Good luck
Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
Hi Mitch. Welcome to SR. I’m currently 18 months sober and I can tell you that the first 3-4 months were very difficult. Depression, anxiety, boredom, extreme anger were just par for the course for me. You referenced some people relating immediate positive experiences. For me, that was only true physically. Emotionally, it took a lot longer to work my way out of the muck.

Thanks I’ve never heard of post alcohol withdraw syndrome. It makes sense though. I’ll check that out

If I can survive this holiday season without hating everyone and everything and somehow manage to get through New Year’s Eve juicing with apple cider, then I hope to make it 4 months.... Hopefully by then I will start to truly understand why i want to stay sober.