Old 12-10-2019, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ciowa

has anyone struggled in an aftercare program?

Im a few months into recovery and I go to AA meetings, continue daily readings and listen to a recovery podcast.

My Intensive Outpatient Program was great and I went into a weekly aftercare program that meets for once a week for a year. Its is available for all who complete the IOP so members come in and leave at different times.

I want to complete the year in the program buts its been a bit of a struggle. The recovery staff doesn't facilitate the meetings so the weekly meeting is done by a former who volunteers to run the meeting. A great deal of our meeting time is spent listening to the more vocal members talk about their relationship ups and downs, ongoing family feuds, headaches at the job and stuff like that. There is also quite a bit of cross talk between folks sharing details about stuff like cooking recipes, sports, the weather and other things. The talk about alcohol and recovery seems very secondary. A big part of me wants to stick it out but then another part of me feels like this meeting is not very productive.

Has anyone done an after care program and was it helpful in recovery?