Old 12-09-2019, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
I see there's another thread currently talking about moving beyond focusing purely on sobriety and on to longer term goals.

For me, so far, I haven't given myself a chance to see what sober life is like after having broken the cycle for a significant period of time. I've only managed 6 weeks. I need to stick at this thing like a man on a mission for a long time and then come back and reassess what my goals beyond just sobriety moving forward. I think a big part of why I have kept relapsing is that I am way too quick to move beyond the vigilant stage and on to this stage 2 of how my life should like after getting sober. And I take my eye off where my main focus should be.

I'd be curious to hear from others with significant sobriety under their belt, at what point they made that transition from being massively vigilant and focusing purely on sobriety, to looking at other aspects of their life - clearly it was a hell of a lot longer than 6 weeks! Others in the thread I referenced were at the 4 year mark. I'm just curious really...I say that as I know people are going to say: you need to stick to the here and now and worry about that other stuff when the time comes!

It's hard to pinpoint.

I do know my first year or year and a half I was mainly involved with AA and going to meetings.

I know I had begun to branch out by the time I landed a new job three years later.

Sobriety always comes first but I find it also important to have balance in my life.

To have outside interests and connect with non-AA people.