View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Rose335

toots - really relieved for you that the funeral went as well as it could. You couldn't move forward until after it had taken place of course but I hope now, as you suggest, it will be possible to do so.

Sorry not to have posted for a little while. It's been a busy time with various family commitments including helping out with toddler care etc. Although I wouldn't in any event have been able to contribute to the improved sleep debate since I still struggle to get a good night's sleep on anything like a regular basis. And that's after nearly 6 months of being sober. It can be a bit frustrating but of course it's nothing like as bad as it was in the days of waking bolt upright around 3.30 every morning having retired (collapsed!) into bed in a wine induced stupor. Maybe I wake up now in order to reflect on quite why I chose to live like that for as long as I did. In fact when I chose my SR name I added the 335 because that was the time I woke up every morning in my drinking life.

Now I have found the time to log on to the Unders it's been great to read so many interesting/informative posts. Until I stopped in June this year I'd been a drinker for as long as I can remember and I come from a serious drinking family. I suspect I drank too much for many years although it didn't stop me holding down a job, managing life etc. I can't date when it became a real problem but I absolutely know that I was an excessive drinker for at least 10 years before I finally signed up here and stopped. In that ten years there was hardly a single day when I didn't drink a bottle of wine. And this was regardless of any timeframe. If I got in very late because of meetings at work etc I still drank the whole bottle before going to bed an hour later!

To say I'm not complacent is an understatement and I'll never take my relatively recent freedom from alcohol for granted but I do look back and think 'now what exactly did you get from that lifestyle?' Answer came there none! I'm hoping that remembering that, along with keeping in touch with all of you on SR, will mean that I've finally found the resolve to be forever sober.

I'm retired so I'm also embarrassed it took me so long to get to this point. But no point in doing anything other than looking forward. And it is absolutely fabulous to feel so much better even with rubbish sleep. And thanks to SR we're in this together, whether we are on day 1 or day 1000. That's a cheering thought.