View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2muchpain

blessing or curse

Being a long time member of SR can be both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing cause people know who you are and what your history is. It gives other members to use your past posts to help a person work through current issues. It helps people to get them back on track if they are having problems. Sometimes, reminders of what once was can help someone to get back what is most important and help to remember how bad things were, and how better things are.
But like all good things, there is a downside. I wouldn't admit that I am drinking now, cause some people would check my past posts and focus on them to find fault in my current situation and provide little support or suggestions.
Maybe some people feel that a member that have been here a long time have heard all the suggestions, so there is nothing left to say. They are probably right. But I think sometimes someone as hard headed as me has to hear the same stuff over and over again for it to eventually stick.
But even if it doesn't stick, knowing there are people out there with an open mind and a non judgemental attitude can help someone carrying the weight of alcoholism a bit more tolerable.
This post is not a put down on SR. It has helped me through many difficult times. The administrators and members are amazing people. This community has helped me to survive as I'm sure it has with other people. John