View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cantsleep123

Newcomer, unsure what to do

Hey guys, was referred here by another member.

I've had terrible insomnia (i.e. completely sleepless nights) since an anxiety attack out of nowhere in May. Before this I drank (sometimes heavily at parties) semi-regularly but no more than a couple of days per week. Then the insomnia hit and I tried to fix it myself for a while which just caused the drinking to go up (about 6 5oz glasses of red win) a few times per week. I finally went to my doc and she gave me Lunesta which absolutely sucked so I drank more often. I borrowed benzos but never took them often enough to get dependent. I got a prescription for xanax but only 30 so I stretched them out over a couple of months. A couple of times I would drink to the point of blacking out (again, about 6-8 glasses of wine) and then my dumbass blacked out self took a benzo. I ended up peeing my pants a couple of times, then while on a vacation drank lots of beer for 16 days straight. I came home with the intention of stopping drinking and did for a couple of days but since then I've drank every other day (about up to 8 drinks now). In the last week I've drank 5 days straight (up to about 10 drinks now). I woke up every single day after drinking feeling extremely anxious. It lasted all day and continued until I had a couple of glasses of bourbon. I finally had enough and think I should self taper, reducing my intake by 2 drinks per night. I had 6 last night, and didn't sleep all night. Right around 5:30 AM the anxiety started pouring in. I've been going back and forth all day about asking my doc for a medical detox but they close at noon. My plan was to have 4 drinks tonight, then 2, then sober. With my level of drinking/duration do you think this is wise or should I go to urgent care? There is a really good doctor there.

If you read all that and offer advice I'll be extremely grateful. I'm a male that weighs 180lbs if that helps. The drinking has really packed on the pounds.