Old 12-04-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pdm22

One thing I’ve noticed since being on forums since the early 2000s (regarding abusive family dynamics/ addiction), and in groups in real life (including group therapies in college, 12 step, yoga commmunities, etc), is 1) some people stick around long term 2) some linger briefly and then leave 3) some come & go. That just seems to be the nature of forums/ groups.

Since these issues are sensitive topics, I try to keep in mind that you really have no idea where people are coming from, what their life experiences have been, what else they might be dealing with. In real life you have the person right in front of you so you can read body language, but on forums you can’t. Also with groups, you do tend to get a certain perspective that dominates, and it’s important to keep in mind, I think, that you really don’t know if that’s the best course of action for that person. You can share your life experience or what you think or learned, and whoever you are sharing with either will take something away from that, or not.

Furthermore, it’s up to the individual to decide what’s best for them, and whose perspective they admire or take away from. Just like in real life, the person (in whatever group you are in) might be coming at you with the best intentions or advice, but it’s up to you to decide if that’s what’s best for you. And you as the individual also have a right to your own personal autonomy, if you don’t like the way someone is talking to you, or they are getting too personal with you, it’s a forum after all, and we don’t know each other personally, so I can understand why people back off sometimes (on any forum, I’ve seen this a lot over the years).