View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I went to AA for a few years. I didn't use the spirituality part, and therefore I could not take the steps literally. The fellowship was important to me. I was inspired by those who had met success with joy and appreciation for life. It was a place to go that didn't involve drinking. It was a place to report another day sober, and to share my appreciation for my own sobriety. On occasion, I picked up handy tips to help me through rough spots.

But to have a discussion about fellowship is kind of odd, because I'm not sure what that is. I can only tell you things that helped me being with those people.

The term "fellowship" brings to mind what? A bunch of people standing around "fellowing," whatever that might be. Would we stand in small groups referring to each other as "Brother James" or "Sister Betty"and introducing them to new comers in some grand and eloquent fashion? I remember an old timer telling me that AA wasn't just a program, but that it was also a fellowship. Whatever that was, he thought it was important. But not knowing what it was myself, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend my time "fellowing." I just wanted to quit drinking. Or would I be offered a fellowship, a title that I could flash during moments of conversation outside the group: "I was offered a fellowship in an institution and am now an honored fellow." That would make me sound quite special to others who were never given a fellowship of their own. I'm still not sure what it is. Maybe it's a fellowship for no other reason that someone said it was.

All I can tell you is that being a member of the group helped me get my feet on the ground. Really, it's no more than a group of fairly like minded friends that help each other out with support and sharing stories of their success, and sometimes their failures.

For others, some may see this aspect of the program as secondary. For me, it's pretty much what it was all about.