View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 07:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Hi JPA,

If you have the opportunity to go to rehab that would be a great way to kick start your recovery, and help you build up a toolbox to support you on this journey.

I will be four years sober on January 1st, and life is so much better without alcohol. However, life is still hard sometimes, and you need to have other healthy ways to deal with situations you were used to numbing with alcohol. You will also learn that It’s okay to feel emotions, it’s okay to be sad, angry, frustrated, and you will find ways to help get yourself through these feelings. I try to go for a walk outdoors every day. It helps to clear my head, and the combination of exercise and nature always helps to calm me.

Another thing that has helped me is mindfulness. I work really hard to remain focused on the present moment. When I was first getting sober I focused on making one good decision and then another..l have found some breathing techniques, meditation apps, and yoga (which I don’t get to enough) to be extremely helpful.

I also find there reading and posting on SR daily is an excellent support. I hope you will consider that after you return from rehab.