View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MissStranger

Originally Posted by JPA View Post
I’m struggling. I’m now a position where I feel like I have two options; face sobriety or face death via suicide.

Neither option seems appealing. I’m at least well enough to say that the former is more appealing. I love my kids, my wife, and I don’t want to leave them.

So so my question is; if I book myself into a residential recover clinic, how long before the pain of sobriety stops? How long before I feel normal.

I’m dying. Things have to change
You sound like I felt 7 days ago when I woke up to having done something shameful and just came to the decision that -that's the last straw... I'm not going to do this to myself anymore.

I'm not sure why, but it hasn't been too hard on my body to quit. I read I would experience unpleasant physical symptoms- but I did not. My problem lies in resisting the triggers, and the craving.

I was looking at my alcoholism as slowly committing suicide and for many years even though I knew what I was doing to my health, I kept choosing to poison myself.

I've had more energy, have lost that all day foggy feeling, I'm working very hard to replace the bad addiction with health goals. I actually lost 4 lbs this past week just by cutting out the booze.

You have to replace what you've been doing with something positive. Gym, family, anything that fills the void that the addiction leaves. This past week I've cleaned my place top to bottom, cleaned my car, done copious loads of laundry, rearranged my closet and sent 6 garbage bags of unused clothes and shoes to the GoodWill, painted the baseboards in my kitchen. Small accomplishments, but positive distractions nonetheless.

There really is something to be said about literally getting your house in order. It feels good, it feels like I can take another step forward because my home is organized. Sounds weird I know, but it's made me feel good.

Don't approach your sobriety as being something too painful to face, or you won't fully commit. That was my problem with stopping in the past- I convinced myself it wasn't achievable. Now I'm 7 days into recovery, because I just committed to wanting a better life for myself. I can't speak to long term, this is what helped me through my first week. I am still committed.

You can do it- don't think you can't. Make the commitment.
Hugs.