View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 12:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Auchieshuggle

Sam,

I have read through your posts and I can empathise with you to a large extent. I have a debilitating anxiety condition which can really torment me at times, it is what has led me to drink heavily for the vast majority of the past twenty-one years. However I know that, despite the immediate relief alcohol offers, it ultimately makes me feel more anxious and the withdrawal has been a nightmare - I'm two weeks in and suffer from panic attacks if I venture further that the nearest shops.

You have a daughter and a dog in your life. You might not have a relationship with your daughter now, but inevitably she will want to know you at some stage.

Have you considered working out? You can get a home gym set for a few hundred quid, but if that's too much you can do press-ups, sit-ups, jogging and a simple kettle bell routine. Exercise releases endorphins and, with perseverance, you should see physical improvements that will increase your self-confidence. What about taking up boxing or a martial art? Have you ever contemplated yoga or meditation?

You have access to the internet, and basically have the world at your fingertips - a lifetime's worth of reading material, blogs and really interesting stuff (ever researched 9/11 or any of the various conspiracy theories?) which can occupy the mind.

What about a spiritual purpose in life? I got baptised a few years ago and I read the Bible and meditate on that, and it's fascinating.

The world can be a dark and cruel place - you mentioned somebody smirking at you in the pub, for example - but there are plenty of beautiful and interesting things about life which make it worth living. We are living in truly fascinating times at the moment. There are other ways to overcome anxiety than a bottle. Best wishes and God bless you.