Thread: Out of my depth
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mango212
Life is good

Hi Wondering,

Congratulations on reaching out. Have you had any exposure to active alcoholism?

It sounds like your ex is doing many good things. Alcoholism is a beast to deal with! Recovery, a relationship with a Higher Power and working with other alcoholics are a proven one-day-at-a-time solution. As this is a solution, these things need to come first for a solid recovery. That doesn't mean there isn't room for other people and relationships, or only room to see someone once a week. If it was his preference to see you once a week, perhaps you were more serious about the relationship than he was? That might have nothing to do with alcoholism.

I'm glad you're here. What I've learned in my recovery (as family/friend in Al-Anon) is that the "normal" I grew up with wasn't normal at all. Having a focus on self-work has given me strength, confidence, playfulness, joy, peace with being alone and also allowed self-awareness that's been immensely helpful.

Why hold on to wanting someone back after a breakup? It could be a great time to explore hobbies and some alone time. What have you done after a breakup in the past?