Old 11-14-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
trailmix

Hi Emeraldgirl and welcome. This thread is a few years old but I'm glad you found something you could relate to. You might even want to start your own, new thread, so more people will see it?

Anyway I'm really sorry that happened to you but not really surprised unfortunately. The first year of sobriety, in fact probably the first several years are unstable times for many recovering alcoholics, as you will see as you read around the forum.

He obviously can't cope with all that is going on and stay sober, sobriety must be his number one priority above all else, otherwise he risks relapsing. So what he has done is really very responsible although you have now gotten hurt in the process.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about his well-being, he seems to be doing the right things for himself. That time and caring should perhaps be focused more on taking care of yourself. You've had a shock and you are hurt and it will take time to get past that.

Do you find that remaining in contact with him is more hurtful to your or helpful? Even if you want to remain friends, generally some time with no contact is a good idea to "reset" the relationship to a non-romantic one, if you can and to get clarity about what you want.