Thread: 2 years
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cruiser1911

2 years

I it has been 2 years on nov 5 since I last had a drink. I have been contemplating how my life has changed. NO BLACKOUTS. still some embarrassing things, but thats because I am who I am. open mouth insert foot. I went back and read some of my early posts. Im amazed at the difference in my physical and mental well being and am finally getting help on the emotional side. I firmly believe there is no such thing as a highly functioning alcoholic.,compared to what that same person would be sober. relationship with kids and wife is way better, used to come home, belt back a couple of shots then say hi to the family then drink the rest of the night, what a way to live. life isn't peaches and cream but it is good. I was thinking about my first drink of good whiskey at 25 and how I never had a week sober (I couldn't just drink even then to buzzed I had to be slurring drunk to be happy from that day forward) besides when my appendix ruptured, I was sober for a month there. I drank for 12 years the last 7 with barely a day here and there without passing out drunk. Im blessed to be alive, blessed to have never got a dui, and blessed my wife didn't leave me.
I hope that others that are struggling can get sober and see the blessings that a sober life brings. yes you feel pain, yes the abuse of childhood is still there, and the embarrassment and pain of the things done drunk, but you have a chance to change it for you andfor someone else.