Old 11-04-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Primativo

I think for me, whilst I needed to quit as my drinking was becoming extremely serious and progressing, i.e. drinking in the mornings and getting stuck in binges for over a week where I was unable to stop drinking, it felt right to quit as drinking had ceased becoming fun.

I could no longer drink a bottle of wine and feel really good and buzzing. I would actually not be satisfied, I'd drink and drink chasing a feeling which was no longer arriving and then I'd pass out and wake up the next day in withdrawals.

That indicated to me that quitting was the only option because I had well and truly flogged a dead horse with regards to my drinking. There was nothing left for me but pain and misery but with fleeting moments of fun which were getting less and less.

Going to a bar and having a few drinks, that's what normal people do but for me it left me either unsatisfied and wanting more, or just groggy and tired.

Once you get to the point where you are downing a bottle of wine in the morning to stave off withdrawals, you can't go and have a few sophisticated glasses of wine over dinner with friends and pretend its all normal. I'd passed a line and there was no going back.