Old 11-03-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
WaterOx

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
"The right" is almost always based on experience, as the BB lays out. What it took for us to get sober, if you will. Everyone doesn't say things in the best tone or way sometimes, but this kind of tough love is perhaps best reconsidered - as frankness of where we may need to go.

I was half drunk at the liver dr when two things happened that made me quit:
"August, why are you killing yourself? Lovely woman, well-educated, you've done a lot of great things in your life. Why?"

That WHY - I had no answer.

He followed that up with "I don't even need to examine you and I can tell you that you've got a yr, 18 months if you keep going. And I'm not going to fool with you if you don't want to do everything you can to live."

I was DONE.

Why did it take the many prior warnings and ER visits and injuries and loss and pain and... I don't know other than I wasn't ready to give it up and surrender.

Sadly, I feel like deep down, this is what I'm waiting for. Just being 100% honest.

Whenever I even drink on a "moderate" level (about 3 beers a day), I get this dull aching pain that developes right around my liver. I've gone to the doctor (more than one) a million times now. They say it's just normal and act like I should just keep an eye on my intake. No stopping, no "you're gonna die if you don't". Just a kind of shrug of the shoulders and seem unconcerned.

I know this sounds terrible and insane, but sometimes I wish they would tell me to stop, because it concerns me that unless it's a done deal I don't know if I will be able to.