View Single Post
Old 11-03-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
trailmix

Agreed, the love aspect can be further down the road. Kind of like forgiveness for something might be further along the road (or not). The "with love" part sounds rather virtuous - I guess it is, but absolutely not required.

I've detached in a few instances, for me it's kind of a process I think. A person should not (in my opinion) let someone else trample on their boundaries or their feelings - period (I have let both happen).

The only way to stop that is to detach, in all that means. I see it as a withdrawing of being in a "unit". You cannot be in a unit with someone you cannot trust (by and large) with your feelings. Well you can and it will make you miserable and perhaps a bit crazy.

Allowing someone to abuse your trust, emotions, boundaries etc is much more insidious, I think, than people give it credit for. It does real damage to the psyche over time. I think detaching is the beginning of the healing process.

As dandylion mentioned, it is just one tool of many that a person needs to protect themselves from harm.

Because that is what that's about, protecting yourself from harm.