View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Newlife2019

Invite AXH to son's wedding?

Hello all - As I've posted before, I divorced my AH of 35 years one year ago. In that time, he's gotten progressively worse - two hospital detoxes, drunk driving (though not yet arrested), scary messages on my voicemail while drunk, etc. He is basically estranged from my older son who lives in a nearby town and tried to help him, but was met with hostility, drunkenness, and terrible voice mail messages. I know that he loves his sons (they are all he has left) and does not remember his terrible behavior while drunk. When he is sober, he is a good (though now very strange and pathetic) person.

My younger son lives in another state and recently became engaged to a wonderful young woman. He is asking me if he should invite his dad to the wedding. He doesn't want to, but can you really keep a father away from his son's wedding? I too am concerned that AXH will show up drunk, get drunk at the wedding, embarrass all of us with his weird (probably brain-damaged) behavior, and ruin my son's day.

What would you advise?