Old 10-27-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Delilah1

First, kudos to you for getting sober when you are young. I was 45 when I finally got sober for good, I’d had periods of sobriety prior to that, but found myself returning to alcohol. I truly wish I had stopped when I was in my 20s.

Since I was older I wasn’t in the social/party circle as much, a great deal of my drinking took place at home in my pajamas. However, I did still meet friends, and I changed the circumstances for those meetings. I made plans to get together to go for s walk hike, or take s class. If you like to exercise there are lots of walking, running, hiking clubs that might be s good way to meet some new people. I did not make an announcement to everyone that I had stopped drinking, but I did share with close friends and family as the situation arose. My good friends completely understood and supported, and so did most of my family. If there were people that made negative comments or tried to push alcohol I distanced myself from them. I did skip some get together, and family outings when I first got sober, because I didn’t want to be in a situation with alcohol. As time has passed I can be at family parties, or holidays without the temptation to drink, though as the night goes on I find myself aggravated with some who’ve been drinking all day, I’m sure in the past I was the person causing that aggravation.

You will find your new normal, I promise. I am really proud of you for recognizing this problem when you’re young, and also really excited for the amazing opportunities you’re going to have in life because of your sobriety.

❤️ Delilah