Old 10-27-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
August252015

I took a machete to my social life when I quit drinking. Y'all who know me on here know that I often say something like "no one who isn't trying to live their own best lives, alcoholic or not, and no actively abusing drinkers, get a seat at my table."

It has proven invaluable - and, truly, as Dee said, I've learned a life without "all that" and it is better in every way.

And, I'd ask if you work a program or might be willing? AA teaches us that we will be "happy, joyous and free" by living the steps; it also talks about being able to go anywhere and do anything with any people - but assessing if we have a real need to, for personal or business etc. Early on and truthfully thru my first 2 yrs which I considered early sobriety, I always used the "no is a complete sentence" axiom, and took to heart literally and emotionally the idea that there is absolutely no event or outing or [ ] worth going to if I had the slightest inkling it was bad for me. When I did start going to more things, I had a plan to stay and leave that was focused on sobriety, which evolved into recovery and choice of everything in my life.

Sounds extreme to some, but I was DONE drinking and my life was at stake. Everyone has different approaches to this but I've not heard anyone "glad" they kept doing and being with big drinkers, long term and on the regular.