Thread: Thank you!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SmallButMighty

Originally Posted by celebration123 View Post
I think I’m seeing it as an “umbrella” term.
I 100% agree with your take on the word "codependent" or "codependency".

It's just one neat tidy little word that encompasses a whole lot of feelings and behaviors. If every time I talked about how I was feeling and/or behaving when dealing with my AXH it would to take pages and pages to describe it all... "codependent" just kind of wraps it all up in one word.

Personally, I don't mind the word, even as a label. I was codependent. Ranting and ragingly so. I own that. But I do understand why other people don't care for the term. I didn't like it at first either. Like you, I didn't understand what it really meant. I didn't like being told I had a problem... "I didn't have a problem he had a problem!!!.. his problem is my only problem!!! He was the one with a dependency, not me!!!".... I was very wrong about that, I very much had a very big problem. For lack of a better word, I refer to that problem I had as "codependency".

This board and "Codependent No More" changed my life and saved my sanity. I will forever be beyond grateful for both! I am so glad you are having the same experience!

I look forward to reading what you have to say as you read and digest your new book.