View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tetrax

Six months sober

It’s true; I have six months today (thanks Least for the shout out)! With support from here, outpatient rehab, AA and SMART (I found I could feel comfortable with both in the end), I have felt sobriety becoming me and can barely remember the pain of drinking, except remembering that it WAS pain. I was credited at this celebration of recovery thing at the rehab place this week, which was kind of awkward but kind of cool! At my AA home group there are a few of us with similar times, like I know there are here (Callas, SoberRican, Sohard, GrayJ, Kinzoku and 5329guy spring to mind – keep it up guys ) and I think it’s so important to have that camaraderie after what feels at the time so lonely and like such a loss – a grief almost – of letting go of the bottle. And just making connections in recovery in general, and letting friends and family see your progress, is all pretty damn rewarding.

It’s a really emotional journey as it becomes less about the booze and more about you getting better – recovering – and though some days can be really tough, there are many more days when it’s just really easy, and plenty of days with real, natural highs thrown in to boot. Your AV loses its power with time as you prove to yourself that you can do life without the booze and see that the good times come automatically, so anyone new, stick with it! It gets easier