View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by Briansy View Post
I used to run a lot. Up to 15k. Felt amazing when I did it. But I haven't in over a year now as I have really bad ligament laxity that probably requires surgery (which I can't currently afford). It's really crap. Not to be able to do that and also the weak ankle has affected my golf game to the point that I don't enjoy it much anymore. Really not ideal.

In a proper rut here. I'm sure it will pass but, frankly, right now, I'm not really in a place where I am motivated for that to happen.
Running, which I used to do a lot of (I ran a marathon on a bad knee in 2003, I was 32. Bum knee and still managed 4:39 limping the last six miles!) is actually pretty damaging to most bodies over 40.

Some bodies can take it. Most can’t. My friends on FB that have gone back to running have had back surgeries, knee replacements, injury after injury.

I row, Boulder and lift, for that reason. Even in CrossFit the short amount of running and jumping would cause foot pain for weeks.

It’s a matter of finding something else. Biking. Rowing. Climbing. Body weight exercise (don’t discount this, mastering a pull-up is actually thrilling), elliptical, Olympic weight lifting (deadlifts, squats and bench press) are all a lot more fun than you realize.

Find something that doesn’t batter your ankle, do it several times a week and report back to me. If you’re still depressed, go from there.