View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 03:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Briansy

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
In addition to therapy, I can’t stress exercise enough.

I am like night and day with exercise. If I don’t put in an hour of cardio and weightlifting enough days of the week, I’m in the hole.

Then I go back to exercise and I’m back. I’ve even told my family “when you see me sink down, please remind me to go to the gym.”

Of course they haven’t done that so I spent a recent two weeks in the hole, just muddled and depressed, and didn’t pull out of it until I went back to exercise. I have done 3 days in a row and might just do daily. I figure even if I just do a light row and some sit-ups, I’ve at least moved enough to nudge my brain chemicals in the right direction.

I know everyone is so different. Sometimes people have gotten upset with me for mentioning that exercise worked better than medication.

But keep in mind there is a lot of solid research about this, enough that some psychotherapists prescribe walks, or do therapy while walking with patients.

Some food for thought, just sharing my experience.
I used to run a lot. Up to 15k. Felt amazing when I did it. But I haven't in over a year now as I have really bad ligament laxity that probably requires surgery (which I can't currently afford). It's really crap. Not to be able to do that and also the weak ankle has affected my golf game to the point that I don't enjoy it much anymore. Really not ideal.

In a proper rut here. I'm sure it will pass but, frankly, right now, I'm not really in a place where I am motivated for that to happen.