Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Try everything and see for yourself if it resonates.

I kinda did AVRT in rehab, I absolutely didn't want to repeat the experience and realized the only way I could 100% not end up back in rehab was to never drink or drug again. Inpatient rehab and this decision I think is the cornerstone of my sobriety. For me it works.

Did 12 Step for awhile when first out of rehab while waiting for my IOP slot to open. It was a good holding pattern, but I hated 12 Step and it wouldn't have helped me long term. Do I believe in it? Absolutely. Millions have been helped by AA, I'm just not one of them.

Outpatient rehab was COG-B, and it gave me some amazing tools to manage both sobriety AND my anxiety and depression, to the point where I'm nearly off all medications. I had to let my brain reset after nearly drinking myself to death and the subsequent detox, but it really does help.

After that, I did a huge gym routine, lost 65 pounds, which also helped with the anxiety and depression. Psychotherapy helped me immensely, I'm almost through with it for now.

I can't meditate or do yoga, both make me want to kill people. My brain never stops, and it's hell to try and quiet it. So it doesn't work for me, but I still "Believe" in it.

I'm also a terminal agnostic and don't subscribe to religious faith, so I don't feel like I needed to believe in anything. I tried everything and kept whatever stuck to the wall.

There's only one method to get and stay sober that I believe in....it's called whatever works. I do know that sobriety doesn't just happen, sobriety is all about action.