View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Beachn

Originally Posted by Zevin View Post
Beachn,
Sounds like you and your wife are on the right track. Give it some time. I found this quote the other day and it reminded me of you, your wife, me....probably most everyone that deals with a LOT of trauma.
I'm also guessing that's a LOT of us here on SR, no matter what side of the street we are on.

“Anyone can give up; it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.”
For sure. Never understood that alcoholism is traumatic for everyone that is touched by it aka a family disease. Until I lived it. No one escapes unscathed. Add in life’s penchant for kicking you when you’re down and things get real in a hurry.

That’s a great great quote. As a man in situations like this, I sometimes, hell often, feel the opposite is true. Understanding the ravages alcoholism has on its victims doesn’t dismiss my manly requirement to turn my back on her. It’s almost as if I was taught there is weakness in forgiving.

As a child my parents had dear friends over for dinner quite often. Lovely kind people. She was involved in a horrific car accident and experienced a brain injury. The last time I saw them was a final meal where she drank wine with dinner, apparently on medication, brain injury and all and threw a plate and glass at her husband from across the table. The plate missed but the glass hit him square in the forehead and shattered, cutting him up pretty bad.

My mother took him to the hospital while my father watched his friend’s wife act like she was possessed. She called us bastards, kicked him in the balls and was cursing like a sailor on leave. This mild mannered, intelligent, gentle woman’s brain was hijacked by the injury, medication and sent into overdrive by the wine. It was a long 3 hours.

Upon his return the husband was as calm as could be when told of his wife’s behavior. All he said was that wasn’t my wife and apologized. He understood all those years ago what I struggle with daily. I never saw them again, whether through their choice or my parents, but I never forgot that night. Especially my father’s reaction and statement that he would never... well you get the idea. Last I heard 30 years later they were still married. My parents divorced.

Anyway...your quote reminded me of this and how I wish I possessed this gentleman’s certainty and compassion for his wife.