View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
theVman31
Mr

Originally Posted by Joe787 View Post
Day 8. A week under my belt. I don't want to speak too soon, because I know I have a lot of work to do, but out of all of my short sober streaks, this one has felt the most positive.

In my years as an alcoholic, I've managed to lose everything (job, girlfriend, car) and regain more than I had previously. But I know clearly that when I lost everything it was because of the alcohol and when I regained more, it was because of the fighter that exists deep down within me. The fighter that isn't strengthened by alcohol like I've sometimes imagined, but that is misled and suppressed. Now that I am sober and getting used to being sober again, I have awoken to a life that is much better than the one where I first started drinking. I am able to enjoy myself a little more.

There was a period, years ago, where I was walking to the liquor store (in a suburban area, not a city, mind you) with change in my pocket in order to buy alcohol. I considered stealing, I might have stolen in a drunk enough state. I had nothing. But whenever I got a sober day or two, the fighter would come back and help be back up the mountain. It got me into a new job where I was able to travel the world for eight months. That fighter then got me a promotion in the office where I was able to buy the car of my dreams. It was never alcohol that helped me do those things. In fact, I likely could have had much more success earlier on if I led the fighter down a better path.

I'm very grateful that I've stopped at this point so that I can truly be present for the life I have been gifted. And I hope that as the AV becomes more cunning, this presence stays strong enough to overcome it. And when the presence becomes less strong, I hope my strategies can combat it.
You are very similar to myself Joe.
I have been falling down and bouncing back too
As I hit my mid forties the fall and bounce are getting harder and harder though.

Congratulations on your first week
May it be the first of many.