Thread: She's Nuts
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AnvilheadII

ok HL - i'm going off topic a little bit cuz you deserve a funny story about fuse boxes.

once upon a time hank and i lived in a rental on the edge of a lake. the landlord wasn't big on spending his own money, but when we asked if we could pay for and install a ceiling fan in the area considered the dining room, he said sure.

so we purchase said ceiling fan and hank gets busy on the install. i'm sort of there but not really watching with rapt attention. it's middle of the day, just for later context. I was called in to help raising the fan UP to the ceiling so he could attach the electrical wires and then the mounting whatnots.

so he finally comes down off the ladder and says.....
ok turn the fuses back on.
i'm like, what fuses?
he says - the ones i asked you turn off before i started messing with live electricity???
nope, sorry, not a clue.
he got this rather horrified look on his face.

i should interject some backstory - his dad was an electrician and he knew a LOT about electrical stuff. especially the bad things that can happen if....

he then attempts to flip the switch but nothing happens.
so he says, are you SURE you didn't switch the fuse off?
nope.
he tries a couple other light switches, nothing happens.
weird.

as it turns out, and remembering this all happened in the daylight, there was a freak POWER OUTAGE in our area at the exact time hank started untwisting LIVE wires with his fingers. because we didn't have a lot of lights on, we did not notice the "lights going out". had that "freak" event not have happened??????? oy.