View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dpac414

IMO, medication only works with therapy. And therapy is bolstered by medication.

You don’t unlearn all the bad thinking/emotional coping mechanisms, etc just by taking a pill. That takes work. But what the pill does is level the playing field so your brain is able to function like neurotypical ones. It helps you look at things rationally, understand why you are having specific responses, and clears the fog of depression and anxiety so you can then start to rebuild.

Obviously, a better lifestyle is also very important, but those things are also much easier to do when your brain is doing what it’s supposed to.

I believe that milder forms of anxiety and depression can be helped by therapy alone, but other more serious cases do need chemical help. Exercise is not a cure all. Eating veggies is not a cure all. You gotta really buckle down and do some work.

I would give it a shot. My life improved dramatically when I stopped drinking, got my meds figured out, and really hit hard with therapy. As long as you are supervised by a professional, it doesn’t hurt to give it a try.

Best of luck, dude.