View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CreativeThinker

Regular exercise, good nutrition and self care were huge for me when I first stopped drinking (still are). However, I knew I needed more support to help me create a solid foundation to my recovery and set me up for success. Routine was huge, visiting SR regularly to read and post, journaling and becoming as knowledgeable as possible about my addiction and how to move through the cravings were key. I didn't go to AA because I have used AA as a tool in the past and it didn't work for me. So...I began seeing a therapist. I didn't realize that I was depressed (and had been for many years) until I started therapy and began taking antidepressants. Like many, I thought that anti-depressants altered ones personality and gave you a high. It wasn't until I became more knowledgeable that I realized I was wrong. When I first stopped drinking I was prescribed Lexapro and Wellbutrin. Neither of which made me feel like a zombie or gave me a feeling of being "high". I simply felt leveled out. Early this year I stopped taking the Lexapro. Initially I worried that I would have a negative reaction and begin feeling unhappy again. But I really didn't feel any changes in my behavior or attitude once I stopped taking it. Next year I will stop taking the Wellbutrin. If I don't feel that I need it, great! If I do, then I will begin taking it again. For me, the goal is to enjoy life, look forward to each day and live life to the fullest....all while being the best version of me. If that means that I need an anti-depressant to feel the way I do today, so be it.

Lastly, I have seen many different therapists and every one of them have been different. I too used to think that my friendships were as good as talking to a doctor. Not true...if you find the right therapist, you will FEEL the change in how you see life.

Best of luck to you in your recovery. You're smart to think through what tools you will need. Plan the Work...Work the Plan!

CT