View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

This is an unpopular opinion, but I never did see the point of therapy. I saw a therapist once in my teens after stealing junk food (I was a white collar kid with a food addiction) for about a year, and it was absolutely useless. He was very nice but the whole thing was pointless. It felt like paying someone to listen to me say a bunch of things I could have journaled instead. He never offered an opinion or advice, I think that’s common, so it was me masturbating my thoughts kind of like I do on my own. I think therapy helps people feel less lonely. But making friends and getting out to do things that interest you can accomplish the same thing.

As for medications: for deeper depression that renders someone nonfunctional, it can help. But pay attention to the most recent research out there before medicating, unless you are in danger. Nutrition and exercise therapy is accomplishing what antipressants can do: and without the impotence and zombie after effects, too.

Sorry. Lots of therapy folks and medication folks here, who can give you an opposite opinion from mine if you’re interested.

Cleaning up your Side of the fence before adding things in can help.

Sleep hygiene is CRUCIAL. Are you sleeping?
Exercise is NECESSARY. Not optional. Necessary.
Are you taking time to go outside? Going outside is necessary for mental health. I know you hike so that’s probably a yes.
Are you getting the protein, vitamins, minerals and macro ratios you NEED on a daily basis?
Are you eating processed foods?
How is your gut? Your digestion? Your gut health and regularity is a potent clue.

These things all in order? If not: consider that alcohol is a wasting element. It wastes protein, wastes vitamin b, wastes minerals: drinking alcohol GIVES us malnutrition, and this is years of abuse! How many years it takes to replace what we’ve wasted is unknown, yet not getting what you need can cause depression. That’s simply a fact.

I’m not saying Friday night ice cream or staying up all night on Saturday to watch movies or spend time with friends shouldn’t ever happen. I’m saying is the rest of your self care in order?