Old 10-12-2019, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JasonH203

GF Left-Hurt and Venting-Appreciate Feedback

Let me preface this by saying that I appreciate you for taking the time to read this and would love to just hear opinions.

My girlfriend of 3 years left me for another man one month before the end of her year long rehab; I'm devastated. I read many similar threads and am surprised how often this happens. Many comments have helped me cope but I am deeply hurt and feel the need to vent.

We both began dating at 25. We had a great relationship and moved in together after about 8 months. We are very similar, both somewhat introverts with anxiety but we just clicked and never argued at all. We were both in so much love for each other. She occasionally drank too much wine at nights but I didn't think much of it. It stopped when we moved in together and things were good. Fast forward a year and it began again, and rapidly increased. This mainly stemmed from her being stressed at her job. It became a daily routine and began affecting her everyday life. She went into a month long rehab and I stayed right by her side, visiting every weekend, offering her as much support as I could. I went with her mom into the facility for a family day where we lecturers and activities to learn of her disease. She was sober for 8 months afterwards. We spent the majority of our time together and she didn't have very many close friends. She relapsed one day after feeling exceptionally lonely, in combination with anxiety from her job, on a day I was out with my friends.

Her drinking became 10x worse than before, snowballing. She began lying about it, driving drunk, and even went as far as to steal money from me to buy alcohol. I took care of her everyday I got home from work. She stopped working altogether and I had taken her car keys away. I emptied the apartment of her alcohol stash (every night), took all credit cards from her. It didn't matter what I did, she always found a way to drink.

Her parents got her into a year long rehab facility in Florida, where they lived part time. We were living in the Northeast. She couldn't have her phone and couldn't communicate with the opposite sex outside of the family but she would sneak letters out to me and I would do the same. All she spoke about is how she hopes and prays that I would accept her back and for us to continue our lives together. Ofcourse I wanted nothing more.

After 8 months of communicating with letters, she got her phone back and we spoke daily, counting down the days we'd meet again. Also, the 8th month she was able to come home for a weekend her brothers graduation. I got to see her for a day and it was just like old times. We didn't let each go the entire time.

Texting and communicating began less and less at the 10th month, though still daily. She told me everyday how much she loves me and so badly wants a future together. She spoke with her sister after which she explained how it's time she made some sacrifices and decided she wanted to come back to the Northeast right after graduating. This was exciting to hear because my lease extended 5 months past her graduation date and she really didn't want to come back to the Northeast as her family was moving to Florida full time and she also wanted a fresh start in a new location. She wanted to come back for me solely. We'd planned to move somewhere together after my lease, as we spoke about so many times.

Literally one week after this she says she wants to stay in Florida and break off the relationship. I explained how I don't see a future without her and I'd break my lease and move to Florida, that I just wanted to be there for her. It didn't matter and it shocked me. She did very little talking, cried, and just like that it was over. A few weeks later and she began posting a photos together with a guy who works for the rehab facility she's at.

3 years together, multiple rehab's together, and 11 months of waiting and it's over just like that. There were no signs of any hesitation this entire time, both of us on the same page of how we felt. I know for a fact that if I was there in person it'd be different and those old feelings would come right back to her. She stopped contact with me and a month has passed without her even reaching out at all. She tended to run away from any confrontation. I texted her at length at first expressing my feelings, how I want to be there for her and to just give me a chance as we've waiting so long. This is so unlike every side of this person I ever knew and experienced. My whole future was pulled from underneath me and I'm devastated. I feel defeated. So much time, energy and love for nothing and I can't even comprehend it. All we spoke about was a future, marriage, kids, experiences. I can barely function at the moment.

Any sort of comments, both positive or negative, is much appreciated.