View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 08:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
NicLin

Originally Posted by nez View Post
The downside to sobriety is that I no longer have anyone or anything to blame for my moments of stupidity. The blame strictly is strictly all mine, LOL!..."I couldn't help it...I was drunk" is no longer the number one arrow in my quiver of denial. :~)
HAHAHAHA!!!! I just thought of this the other day! That I had lost the one excuse one can have for when they do something ridiculous or idiotic..."Sorry, I was drunk!"

Funny thing is, I have not lost the silly person I have always been, only know I have more control.

I have yet to see a downside to my getting sober. Life has become so rich so quickly, I actually can show up to events I always wished I could do, I have more friends now than ever before, and I am working out because I don't have the hungover feeling anymore. Life is good.

Not a downside but definitely challenging are the feelings that are coming up throughout this process. I am raw and open for the first time in two decades and that of course comes with pain, shame and guilt and an underlying sadness. But I cannot call it a downside, because even those feelings live within a container of LOVE. I am at peace with these raw emotions and can look at them objectively and asses them now.

Meditation has been key for this awareness.

I did go out to a bar with my girlfriend this past weekend and it did nothing for me. I was between bored and sociable. I told her it was a fun experiment and that I was actually repulsed by the idea of alcohol (I know where it ends for me), and could hang in that setting, but next tim e I would love to just go chat or bowl, anything other than stand at a bar.

Cool to see that a drink doesn't trigger or tempt me, but I am not putting myself in that situation again, nothing to be gained from it.

I second the statement that only downside was not getting sober, but I am exactly where I need to be in this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing , happens in Gods world by mistake.