View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
abgator

Originally Posted by Ladybug47 View Post
I'm not going to drink. But today I really, really want to.

Ever since I stopped drinking it's as though I have been shedding layers of repressed emotional junk and for the most part it has been ok. I have welcomed it. I understand that there are things I have to face.

But this morning I woke up with unwelcome thoughts of my ex from over a year ago now. Thoughts of not being enough, thoughts of being cast aside. Thoughts of being dismissed.

It is not HIM that I miss or think about. That relationship simply represented every deep, dark button that could have been pushed in my psyche. And when I get stressed about anything in my life, my mind clings to that relationship. Like a scab that you can't help but pick at. I think about what I did wrong, how I could have been better. Then I get angry at myself for having allowed myself to stay with such a shallow, self absorbed person for years. I get angry at myself for basically abandoning myself in favor of him.

But none of that is the real issue. I have abandonment and emotional neglect issues from childhood that I never considered or addressed until now. My brain would like a bottle or two of wine more than anything else right now. I know it won't help anything. But just by writing it here I am hoping to give it less power.

I have been sick with a virus for the past two weeks so my exercise routine has gone by the wayside. That could be contributing to all of this right now too.
I feel your pain on that. It's been 5 years since my ex divorced me because she'd rather leave me than tell me I needed help with my drinking. But we share a daughter and I'm forced to see her weekly. I still wake up from having dreams about her and it's depressing AF. Those days I feel terrible for the first couple/few hours of the day. Getting to the gym and sweating it out works for me. The annoying part is, like you, I don't think it's even her specifically that causes it. It's the loneliness, the rejection, even the jealousy that she's been happy for years with her new boyfriend and I'm still single.

We are our own worst enemy.