View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

A bit of exercise like walking the dogs is a great way to get some temporary relief. To get permanent relief attention is probably required in other areas. AA was the path I chose. I have noticed that some people get to take their time getting active with the program, some never do and still seem to stay sober. And some, like me, have a very short window of opportunity to get cracking in before the obsession returns. Everyone is different. My window last time was three weeks. That is to say that after three weeks of a half hearted attendance at a few meetings, and following none of the suggestions, I found myself off on a four day bender. It was only supposed to be a couple of beers. That is what happens with me when the crazy obsession returns,

After that experience I got busy doing just what you proposed, finding a sponsor and working the steps. The formula of 12 steps in 12 weeks, although slow by the standards of the early days, seems to have done the trick. It has been quite a while since the obsession was removed, and it hasn't come back.