Old 09-21-2019, 03:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
August252015

Cup of Joe said things very well.

In the span of wanting to be sober for the rest of my life, and literally as far as time, 75 days is indeed very early. Awesome accomplishment, but early.

What are you doing for a recovery (different than a life) program? That's the foundation for me (mine is AA). The rest of the stuff you describe and are trying to do well, as we all do, will be OK if you start with the right foundation of recovery first.

I also hear struggle with being sober v living in recovery. Those are very different things. As I mentioned in my earlier post, recovery is my way of life, and it entails a total mental, emotional and spiritual shift from when I was drinking, and when I first got sober.

It's not easy at the beginning. Most of us don't get any amount of "time out" from the "rest of life" to start getting our feet on sober ground (I did, which I am incredibly grateful for as I had about 5-6 wks not working, just going to drs and AA and being incredibly sick then starting to get well, til I had to work again).

Continuing sober is the only way to make progress. From 3 yr 7 mo I can promise you that each year brings differences and changes- indeed each month did for my first year, even some weeks, and certainly some days. It is all worth it- I can promise you that.

There is also a book I always suggest - Living Sober, about the first year of sobriety. A short and good read about what most people experience. I believe avail on Amazon; it is an AA-approved piece but not an AA-published one.

Keep going.