View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SnazzyDresser
sober style

I went to my first AA meeting just this summer after roughly 2 and a half years sober thanks to SR. It was fascinating in several ways, but I can definitely see that sticking with SR was the right road for me to take back then, perfect for my unique not-quite-antisocial personality!

I ended up going to around 10 or 12 meetings over June and July. The one that was closest to me, that had the best coffee and snacks (haha that's important!) and that I felt most comfortable in, turns out they weren't wild about me just showing up for meetings and already being sober. They wanted me working the steps and getting a sponsor and just having a lot higher profile than I was looking for. But that's fine, I still polished up my social skills and learned a lot about AA there. It was a speaker-type meeting which I found I much preferred to the sharing-type.

But when I was struggling, back in 2016, I told myself that I was gonna do whatever it took to get my life back and put this alcohol nonsense behind me, even things that seemed impossible to me with my introverted personality. If SR hadn't worked, I was prepared to go AA and then rehab or whatever else. Whatever it took, I was all in. Thank God SR worked for me, I'll always be eternally grateful for this site and the people here. I'm welling up with emotion just typing this haha! Getting verklempt as they say.