Thread: Checking in
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 05:28 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Briansy

Like I'm sure many of us are, I tend to have mild obsessive compulsive tendencies - I'm sure that clinically I have nothing of the sort but you know what I mean. These compulsions were actually starting to imprison me. Drinking was the big one, but also gambling and I have knocked both of those on the head over the past 31 days and counting.

Another one is I have to use the same lip balm and face cream and if I don't have access to them, I freak out. A few years back, my old lip balm was discontinued so I purchased a 5 year supply, assuming I'd find a suitable alternative in that time frame. I kinda did (but still not the same) and have been using this new one for the last couple of years. It's pretty solid and I have recently discovered that this also will be discontinued. So I have purchased 500 tubes. I estimate that this will see me through to 90! At which point I hope that a suitable alternative will be available! Re: the face cream, I have been using simple hydrating light moisturiser for about 15 years. Last year they changed the formula and the new one caused me to break out. I purchased about a 10 year old supply of the old formula and truly dread the day when this expires. At this point I will be 50 and perhaps have found a wife and be content to let myself go.

Another, more serious, daily routine has been taking over the counter sleep meds. Nytol in the UK, I think it's Benadryl in the States. I have to take it at the same time every night and it takes ages to kick in for me. So even when I am out, I need to take this stuff to time it for when I get back. I absolutely hate this aspect of taking it but I must say it's been a God send in terms of helping me to sleep. I have weaned myself down to one half tablet a day from 2.5 a day and tonight is the first night of going Nytol-free. My brain has stopped releasing those chemicals from the pineal gland to get me to sleep cos it's so used to the Nytol. I'm sure it will be a tough transition, but I really want to live a life where there's nothing in my "system" ever, bar the occasional pain med if really needed.

If I pull it off I am on the road to freeing myself from the prison of:

- Alcohol
- Obsession with mobile phone
- Gambling
- Sleep meds

The face product thing is a non negotiable and I'm just gonna have to keep advance planning!

Wish me luck!