View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Quick Hello Overs, I scanned to sort of catch up what I could.

Mags,
I third your post to PJ.

PJ,
We do need then feed each other. You're a giver not a taker.

Toots,
Not all dogs are intentional comforters, guess it runs in the family? (attitudes travel up and down the leash) Many of us here have been caregivers to family members with Alzheimer’s/Dementia. Or like me at 67 get nervous whenever we can’t recall something. Fortunately for me they are the same things I’ve always had trouble remembering since my teens. It looks like a new drug may just work to get rid of the antagonist, read this! https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/news/2...eimers-disease

Sassy,
Your ill friend sounds like a trooper. I know the feeling of losing old friends and siblings. Your “community” fits in with that tribal genetic imperative we humans cannot change. It only becomes a liability when those who have a desire to control others for their own benefit, like Jim Jones sought out the lonely and led them to a dead end in Jonestown. Or a blaze of glory like in Waco. Or the recent shooters, which in the US, have corresponded to the rise of hate groups we used to laugh to the fringe where they belonged. Quite frankly I am amazed. Old PT Barnum said it best - “Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.” ― P.T. Barnum.

Star,
Yep we just did that with her parents and your plan is infinitely more rational. My SH was determined and I loved them too. But I did not burden her with taking care of mine. She did Estate sales/downsizing moves for 7 or 8 years, and they many times moved the owners into a facility like you describe. Since they decorated for them when it came time to move them and their few possessions and furniture to memory care, it was in house. She'd see some all there, then mostly gone.

Andy,
I gotcha and have a tubing/pipe Bender.
Guys, here's videos of pipe Benders. You need one because without it they collapse and are no good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodMwrFZXgM

We are both in shock that when we fairly, according to our realtor, countered an outrageous offer to have us pay the buyer’s closing costs of $8k they were offended and moved on with no counter. For those in other countries that may be different, here the seller is responsible for paying the realtor’s fees of 6%, and the buyer pays closing costs. Having just dropped the price $25k in my last two price drops, and offering in counter to pay half of their costs, instead of saying no way in a huff, as they did. Oh well, I just remember a line from The Book of Paul – “Let it be” and move on. Have another showing today.

With the house not sold, we spent our 47th Anniversary apart. September is my sober anniversary too. 9 years this year. My group is my SH! I’ll make new friends in the Springs easily as there’s a large retired military community, and four major bases, three I have access to. The one I don’t is Cheyenne Mountain, home of NORAD (and other top secret organizations) which is also able to withstand a direct nuclear hit. For those unfamiliar it is the facility shown in the Stargate Movie and series with the vault like door. The outside shots of the entrance are real.