View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Amaranth

Peo it's so incredible to think how much these words can change your whole life

I was fed up and told him "Its your family or the beer. "

He was quite happy to have both, family and beer. You were not. That is why you gave him the choice, one or the other. When I got to the point of needing to ask my husband to choose, I waited a long, long time to say the words because I knew there was a huge chance he would choose beer. Guess what, he did, but by the time I said the words I had prepared myself for either outcome. I desperately did not want it to be true but I asked him to make his choice and he made it. I was still shocked and I wasn't actually as prepared as I thought.

If you never considered that he might choose beer over the family, I imagine you must be in total shock now. That shock will start to wear off as you learn to live without him and you will start to remember how unhappy you were living with his drinking, unhappy enough to ask him to choose.

This could have happened now or in 5 years or in 10 years. It had to happen for you and your son . You could not continue the way things were.

Be kind to yourself as you navigate this period of adjustment to your new reality.