View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KeepingUp

8 months, still strong but what a year

Well, I'm feeling good about not drinking at a little over 8 months now. Woohoo! I've really been trying to re-brand myself in my mind and with friends/family as a non-drinker. I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle generally, so it hasn't been as rough a switch to talk to others about without getting into the whole "I'm a wasted mess when I drink" convo about my decision. I HAVE quit for my health, so it's not a lie! I just don't list ALL the reasons :P

But man, I've said it before and I'll say it again, this year has been ROUGH. A few particularly jarring incidents took place with people I felt close to and now no longer am. None of those relationships were in any way related to drinking, it's just coincidence that these happened in this first year of sobriety, but I'm so glad to be sober for them. I'd be lying if I didn't think to myself recently that a drink to get out of my head for a bit would be nice, but I shook those feelings off, played the tape forward, remembered why I quit and checked in here. I know I've got to stay on top of my self care as far as eating right, exercising, etc. because it could be easy to let these situations derail the progress I've made in a lot of life areas, but I'm not going to let that happen! I'm too mad at those people to let them eff up my progress

Anyway, it's been a rough week and I'll be glad to welcome the weekend. Hope you all are having a good one and work on your game plans going into the weekend! There's lot of healthy and fun things to do to get your mind off that annoying AV, or just Netflix binge something when all else fails. You got this!