Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
lonelyhusband

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The other thing (and I say this as an alcoholic in recovery myself) is that addictive people have addictions. Of course there is no way for us to know what is going on here, but this paragraph:
and especially that bolded part, made my mind go to prescription (or illegal) drugs. She wouldn't be the first recovering alcoholic who switched to benzos or opiates.

Sorry, I know you don't need more to worry about and you may have already thought about this.

One thing about addicts/addictions that is absolutely true: More will be revealed.
Hey biminiblue, it's an interesting point that both you and AutumnMama bring up. In recovery I have seen her using some surrogate addictions. First it was work, then a bit of over-eating, then the house needed some remodeling. What makes me hopeful that it might not have transitioned to prescription drugs is that she pretty religiously continues to attend AA and the majority of her social circle are folks in recovery. Also, I'm not sure where she would get them. Her family doctor is aware of her alcoholism and would be hesitant to prescribe her cold medicine at this point. That being said, I'm not naive, and realize that with an alcoholic where there's a will there's a way. Is it completely sick that I'm actually rooting for this prescription drug scenario? One by which at least I'd be able to pin some kind of concrete explanation on her behavior towards me?