View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
boreas

NicLin,
Basically isolating, which is what I would do when I drank.
But this is who I am, I over do things to compensate for "feeling feelings", which I have started going through. I cry for anything and lost it today and last night at a meeting.
I have learned in sobriety that I maintain several of the “traits” that were part of my drinking days. Turns out, some of them are self-soothing behaviors and were not part and parcel of the negative habits I needed to break.

I am extremely introverted by nature. My jobs have always been very social. By the end of the day, my cup is empty and the idea of additional socializing is almost painful. I used to isolate with wine, now I go for a solo run. It is the answer that works for me, and my quiet time is no longer unhealthy when the alcohol is removed. I am now a sober introvert.

We all need people to some extent. I am not part of AA, but know of the program and think it is wonderful for many. It sounds like you have many things going well, and the “firsts” of the first year, (holidays, sickness, storms, etc.) will make you stronger with each one that you pass through sober. I just wanted to say that sobriety doesn’t change our basic nature, and some of the behaviors you consider “alcoholic” may just be a par of the NicLin package once disconnected from drinking.
-bora