Old 09-02-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hope1989

It's all alcohols fault.... is it really ?

Hey everyone,

So I have been in a "dilemma" in life. Having attended AA for quite a while, seen some people recovered and some others in recovery, I have come to some conclusions which I want to share. Needless to say, you are more than welcome to disagree.

1. Recovered alcoholics are not always happy. Matter fact, a lot of them are still in pretty bad shape.

2. Alcohol is used to mask underlying issues. Drinking alcohol makes those issues even worse. However, even after recovering, this does not mean the underlying issues are gone.

3. The fact that you do not attend or not go to AA DOES NOT mean that you are not able to recover or you would be a "dry drunk". This is just not true. If you take an alternative way to sobriety, and it works and makes you happy, that's the way.

4. AA is awesome. I still get impressed by the amount of help this does for people. While it does not work for me, I take a lot of principles from there.

5. There is not a more egocentric place than an AA room (sorry if this is harsh). But I have seen a thousand times people looking newcomers or early in sobriety guys over their shoulder.

Spoiler alert: Being sober a long time is something incredible, not "cool". So, if you are one of those, please, relax.

6. It's all a matter of habits. Period. That's the key to recovery.

Being that said, I am truly honest with everyone in here. I want to stop drinking. However, I do not think I will be able to do this without me solving some clear issues. These problems took me to alcohol, it is not the alcohol's fault. However, alcohol became a problem for me, disease and I can no longer drink it.

Every person's life is unique. So are their problems (even with a lot of similarities). Focusing 100% on not drinking won't cut it. Focus 99% in fixing your problems, and you will probably 100% stay away from booze.

Good afternoon.