Thread: Despondent.
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 03:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Fusion

Kaily, I too remember your original posts, when you were struggling to stop drinking. You did it, and now have an amazing 10 months! I was about to re-read your earlier posts and place one here. Decided not to, on the basis it might do the opposite of my intention, and depress you.

But suffice it to say, Kaily, from where I’m stood, you read like a different person now, the non-drinking Kaily shines through.

When I picked up a drink after two and a half years, I did so to self-medicate, temporarily drown out out the incessant thoughts in my head, and feelings of despair. It took me an horrendous 6 months and over, to escape alcohols grip again, at one point, I was resigned to an alcohol-induced death. With hindsight, banging my head and causing temporary concussion, would’ve been less damaging than picking up again.

I’ve learnt my lesson: I have no off-button, it’s permanently broken. Is there anywhere you could volunteer, Kaily, I’m sure you have a lot to offer. I used to feel a real lift in spirits after helping at a dogs home. I’ve since read that known benefits, to include increased sense of well-being and neuroscientists research resulted in it being called a “Helper’s High’ because of the resultant positive effects upon the giver. Stay strong, you can do this 🤗.