Thread: Despondent.
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 02:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pipefish

I really hear you Kaily, and identify with the attempts to feel better through shopping, buying something new. It's one of the cunning, baffling, powerful parts for me - anything that can cause stress, has this illness doing cartwheels, and it is one the ways I try to make myself feel better too sometimes.

First, I can only echo what Free Owl has said. AA provided a structure for me early on, particularly when I get a tea making commitment at a lunchtime meetings, and a community of people who expected me to turn up. That was priceless. I also got to know women who helped me through the step programme. That was priceless too. Therapy, yes for sure, its helped in the past and although very challenging, is helping again now.

Second, don't panic. Breathe. Is there any tai chi or meditation you can get involved in, relatively low cost? I've been to classes with these https://www.taoisttaichi.org/ They are really very welcoming, and it is so helpful to shift the focus elsewhere, and the opportunity to get to know people. The only reason I don't go now is time constraints, as I meditate and run regularly now (not at the same time....well sometimes) Anyway, highly recommended

Finally! Cant overstate the importance when living alone (I do too) of having those commitments, places we're expected, and a little community in the day. It's really important those opportunities for friendliness and light relief.

Wishing you well.