View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
pdm22

Originally Posted by SmartRose View Post
I think what I need help with at this point is convincing myself that he is addicted. I don't see a lot of signs. And maybe that is because he has been taking them the whole time we have been together, so I never knew any different. I don't know. But when I read about signs, I don't see those in him. Can anyone tell me what a functioning addict would be like?

Do you mean physical symptoms? If so, it can be things like the weird pupils like Hardlessons mentioned. Also things like changes in hygiene (poor), sleep patterns, appetite and weight, impairment in coordination / tremors. Depression, complaining of pain.

It sounds like you have many behavioral signs though. Money disappearing and unaccounted for, lying, secretive behaviors, withdrawing, finding pills.

Also, not sure if your husband is like this, but going from doctor to doctor to get pills for this or that, to have an “appeal to authority” excuse for all of the above things needing a pharmaceutical intervention. And it’s not hard to find doctors who will give them what they want, and encouraging it even, so then you might have the person mixing a whole bunch of things that shouldn’t be mixed, and it’s just an accident waiting to happen. Not sure your husband does this, but I know some people like this, including situations where the people unfortunately did mix things that shouldn’t be mixed, and accidentally OD’d, and this kind of thing is getting to be more and more common, so just thought I’d mention that in case you start seeing this type of thing too.

However, I can tell you living with people who don’t use drugs and alcohol, that kind of thing happens zero percent of the time. And I’ve lived with people who did struggle with drug dependence/ addiction- that’s when you see those kinds of behavioral things. The signs your seeing might not be filled with drama (but all still serious- like lying and stealing money), that just might not be his personality, but it sounds like you have many, many signs, that when added up, and telling you everything you need to know. He has a problem. :/