View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tetrax

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I disagree that OCD is any form of addiction. In it’s most basic stripped down form an addicts chosen substance is taken to boost / trigger the reward mechanism in the brain (dopamine receptors). OCD does not adhere to that same driver. People with OCD do not do it for a kick of dopamine, they don’t get a rush out of doing it. At no point is OCD a pleasant experience where as drugs and alcohol can be before it becomes an issue.

Yes, addiction can be obsessive and compulsive but is in no way similar or comparable to the actual disease of OCD. x
I am diagnosed with OCD and this sums up the difference well. For me getting sober some of the most startling things are seeing just how much I was self-medicating OCD WITH alcohol, but also - on the plus side - that the CBT-based treatments are remarkably similar for treating both conditions, even at the same time: basically don't do the 'compulsion' and the 'obsession' will lessen, and trust in this process. So although there are probably links, I don't consider them one and the same, but the way out of both may well be.

This topic is specifically discussed in minor detail in 'Brain Lock' by Jeffrey Schwartz (Chapter 7: The Four Steps and Other Disorders - Overeating, Substance Abuse, Pathological Gambling, Compulsive Sexual Behaviour'), for me a key text for help in managing OCD. I would describe his methodology most similar to AVRT, regards addiction treatment.