View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sohard

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
I have come to the conclusion that alcoholism is another form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Perhaps it has been classified as such, I did not check.

I have read a number of threads here about cross-addiction and that confirms to me the OCD tendencies. I find it in my own recovery as well. The activities I have chosen to put my energy into I do obsessively. My sport, exercise, writing, healthy eating and reading here. It does not bother me. It is all good habits.

I believe in time that things will settle and I will be able to live a more balanced life. For now, 5 months in recovery I am happy with these obsessions. It keeps me sober and sane and for that I am so thankful.
Do you have diagnosed ocd? The things you listed are all positive and seem like great things to devote your time to. And I noticed you wrote about the things you’ve “chosen” to devote your time to. In OCD, there is no choice. It’s just constant obsession and/or compulsion (sheer hell) and certainly not usually of 5 healthy activities that actually keep you “sane”. And if these things do not “bother” you, you must not be obsessing over or compulsively doing them, in the clinical sense. I’m not meaning to nit-pick, but since you’re asking the question you posed, I think it’s important to clarify what OCD actually is.