Thread: 6 years sober
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Venecia

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
What an inspirational post and how nice of you to continue posting.

I often ask this to those with many years of sobriety, do you ever get the urge to drink still? Clearly you’re strong enough not to do so, but I’m wondering if that old urge ever creeps back?

I’m asking as I’m over 7 months sober and whilst my urge is 99% gone, it still comes back. I know one drink will undo my work so it’s easier to say no, and I’d be happy if it was always this way as it’s controllable and not unpleasant. So whilst I’m not complacent, I’m curious if you still get any urges to drink.
Thank you, Hodd.

The urge is gone, but I remain vigilant. I know that as a person in recovery, there is a wolf out there somewhere and it's my job to keep that wolf far from my door.

I did have an unsettling experience two years ago. I was at a family gathering where there was a keg of beer and a fair amount of wine. After a while, out of left field, I had the thought that "I could probably have one." That really shocked me. I didn't, of course, but I did step away from the festivities for a while.

Later, I spoke with my counselor (and I think a counselor is a good thing for anyone who has been through what we have) and he pinpointed something for me. We underestimate smell. I had been surrounded by the smell for a protracted period. Sure enough, it played with my head. After all, if you were to smell a delicious apple pie baking in the oven, something deep in your brain would tell you to have a piece.

Another reason to avoid places that serve alcohol, especially in early sobriety.

All the best to you. Seven months is a terrific accomplishment and I am happy for you. Life is so much better for us.